Working in the garden or nursery can be a challenging task especially if there is a need to transport materials such as plants crops, pots, heavy types of machinery and many more. If there is a right equipment on hand such as a nursery trailer, it can be an easy task for gardeners and nursery workers.
A nursery trailer is a transport device that is easy to manoeuver. This equipment is generally flexible and adaptable when compared to other conveyance systems. They can also carry a large number of materials. That’s why they are practical to use. For more insights, here are the 4 crucial things to know about nursery trailers.
1. Reasons why a nursery trailer is required in the garden
A nursery trailer is one of the most essential tools that can be used in the garden. This is because of the following reasons:
It can help move a large amount of compost and waste
Weeds, soil, compost, and other materials are needed to be moved or disposed in the garden. Gardeners and nursery workers can move these waste materials using a wheelbarrow. Nevertheless, it is more practical and convenient to use a nursery trailer. This is because it can carry a substantial amount of waste than a wheelbarrow.
It can carry huge trees and shrubs
If there is a need to transport shrubs and huge trees, a nursery trailer can be used. A trailer with collapsible sides and tailgate doors is ideal to use for this purpose. Also, opt for a trailer with a quick-release mechanism. This can help to quickly load and unload materials.
It can help transport heavy garden machinery
Using machinery such as stump grinder is sometimes needed in the garden. This type of equipment is heavy. Thus, moving them from one place to another can be difficult. But by using a nursery trailer, transporting this machinery will be made easy.
When transporting bulky items, a trailer without a roof is an ideal option. These trailers can load up odd-sized materials and equipment. Contrarily, a trailer with a roof is perfect for moving materials that require more protection.
2. Advantages of using a nursery trailer
There are many advantages of using a nursery trailer. Below are just a few of them.
They are sturdy
Nursery trailers come in varied sizes, designs, weight limits and materials. Most of them are made from quality and durable materials such as heavy-duty steel. This type of material makes the trailer sturdy enough to withstand heavy loads.
They have safety features
Apart from being durable, most trailers are designed with high sides. This feature prevents loads from falling off. It also ensures the safety of materials when transporting them.
3. Essential features of nursery trailers
For first-time gardeners, choosing a nursery trailer can be overwhelming. This is because this equipment come with more features. As a guide, here are the essential features to look for when choosing a nursery trailer.
To know the capacity that a trailer can hold, check their tare weight, aggregate trailer mass or ATM and payload. To get familiar with these terms, below are their definitions.
- Tare weight - This is the mass or weight of a nursery trailer. The lower the tare weight, the more payloads the trailer can accommodate.
- Aggregate trailer mass or ATM - This is the total weight of the trailer’s maximum load and tare weight. Knowing the trailer’s ATM is vital to prevent overloading. It will also give gardeners and nursery staff an idea if a trailer is suitable for car towing or not. For example, the car can only tow a maximum capacity of 2000 kilograms. This means that the ATM must be lower than this weight.
- Payload capacity - This is the trailer’s carrying capacity. Like ATM, gardeners should know the maximum weight that a trailer can carry. This is to avoid loading excess materials on it.
Tracking system and stability
Having a reliable tracking system is also necessary for a nursery trailer. This is to facilitate safe transportation of the materials.
It is also worth considering the terrain where the trailer will be driving over. For a rough terrain, a solid suspension system and a series of securing points is needed to keep the trailer steady.
Ramps and braking system
Most nursery trailers have standard ramps. This feature helps to safely dismount the equipment. There are ramps fitted with hydraulic or spring-assisted mechanisms. This helps to lower them down with ease.
Another vital feature that a trailer should have is its braking system. This will keep the materials safe and stable during transportation.
4. Ways to load items on a nursery trailer
To prevent the loads from sliding and breaking, make sure to arrange them properly on a trailer. These few tips below will serve as a guide.
- Load large or heavy items first. Put them in front of the trailer.
- Put the light materials at the top of the heavy items. Just place them toward the back or near the door.
- Use tie-down straps. This will secure the items before towing the nursery trailer.
A nursery trailer is must-have equipment for gardeners and nursery owners. With this horticultural equipment, transporting materials within the garden will be easier and safer. Using this nursery equipment can also help to save the nursery workers and gardeners’ time and energy when moving items from one place to another. Furthermore, these 4 crucial things above can help understand more of a nursery trailer.
If you need expert advice on which nursery trailer to be used, just contact a trusted supplier in Sydney. They supply a wide range of quality and durable horticultural trailers for your nursery.